Did you know approximately 36% of accidental house fires are caused by appliances and white goods? This is roughly 4000 fires each year.
At Revere we let and manage a huge number of properties across South West and South East London, including areas such as Balham, Battersea, Bromley, Brixton, Clapham, Croydon, Earlsfield, Fulham, Stockwell, Tooting and Wandsworth and we want our Landlords and Tenants, and even Sellers and Buyers to be aware of potential dangers.
Appliances and white goods are more than often provided by Landlords in both furnished and unfurnished properties. Some sales will agree for appliances and, or white goods to remain in the property once sold.
Have a look below at some suggestions which can help home owners, Landlords and Tenants as safe as possible-
- Check any appliances are not subject to a recall. Appliances can be registered on registermyappliance.org.uk recalls are rare, though registering here allows you to be contacted if there is an issue.
- Check where the appliance has been installed, The Chief Fire Officers Association (CFOA) recommend not to install white good in sheds or garages as damp and extreme temperatures can impair safe usage.
- Keep areas behind/ on top and around white goods clean and clear to ensure adequate ventilation.
- Landlords should check each appliance’s lead and plug, making sure no wires are exposed or damaged and no plugs are showing discolouration. Make sure the appliance isn’t standing on the lead or stretching to reach the socket.
- Appliances should never be overloading extension cables or sockets.
- Ensure smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are fitted correctly (smoke alarms on each floor) and between Tenancies check these are working correctly / change batteries if needed.
- Remind Tenants to check all smoke alarms regularly, at least monthly to ensure working correctly.
- Advise Tenants appliances must be maintained – clean out filters in washing machines and tumble dryers and defrost freezers as required.
- Remind Tenants to contact you should any problems or repairs arise.
Contact me or Bruno to discuss your property journey and how we can help.
Revere Property Limited
020 7223 3922, email@example.com